As a MOM you wear a lot of different hats. You’re also a: chef, chauffeur, personal assistant, therapist, teacher, caregiver, punching bag, etc. How in the world are you to do it all? And then you get bombarded with unhelpful messages in every direction saying you’re not good enough, that you could be better at this, that your child is failing in that…
Man, having kids can be tough but is also SO rewarding. So let’s try to ease something on your plate. Entertainment and creative teaching activities for your kiddo! Finding healthy ways to grow a child’s maturing mind and creativity can take a lot of brainpower and Pinterest scrolling (not to mention the prep work). Why not let someone else do that for you? Let me introduce you to the KiwiCo Crate.
Today we are going to go over the KiwiCo Crate Subscription, and see if this would be a good option for you and your child to explore their creative and analytical side in exciting ways. Let’s get going!
The KiwiCo Crate is a subscription service that delivers hands-on STEAM projects or toys every month, aimed at inspiring creativity and curiosity in your child. This subscription is geared towards kids of all ages and their various interests. It’s perfect for parents who want to provide fun and enriching experiences for their child to naturally practice their problem solving skills and support a lifetime of learning. This is also a great way to spend time with and bond with your child in a more structured way, or to keep them busy and focused. The activities in the crates go through a rigorous process of brainstorming, creating, testing and refining before it lands in your child’s hands. You can expect 1-2 larger projects or 2-3 smaller projects in each crate.
- Promotes development at all ages.
- Fun and creative activities to keep your kids interested.
- No brainstorming or shopping required for parents. Materials and instructions are provided for every crate.
- Great family activity!
- Great price point.
- Created by educators and child-development professionals.
- Some activities could get a little messy. But what’s being a kid without a little mess?
- Some of the activities could be a little frustrating and may need parental guidance.
- Wait a whole month for a new activity.
Getting started with KiwiCo is simple, and personable. They will recommend a crate for you to try based on your child’s age, and you can also choose different themes based on varying interests. Your crate can be addressed directly to your child to make it exciting for them to receive mail every month.
You have 9 different crate options to choose from, KiwiCo will recommend which one they think is best for your child to start on.
- Panda Crate 0-24 months
- Koala Crate 2-4 year-olds
- Kiwi Crate ages 5-8
- Atlas Crate ages 6-11
- Yummy Crate ages 6-14
- Tinker Crate ages 9-14
- Doodle Crate ages 9-16
- Eureka Crate ages 12-100
- Maker Crate ages 14-100
Every month, your child will get a box in the mail, with their name on it if you want, that has various projects and activities for them to try.
A monthly subscription for a KiwiCo Crate is $23.95 per month for the Koala Crate, Kiwi Crate, Atlas Crate, Yummy Crate, Doodle Crate, and Tinker Crate. The Maker and Eureka Crate is $32.95 a month, and the Panda Crate is $43.90 per crate and is shipped every two months.
KiwiCo offers different subscription options that can also save you money per crate such as paying for a 3-month, 6-month or 12-month subscription. Shipping is free to the US and KiwiCo does ship to other countries but does not cover shipping.
KiwiCo also has a Deluxe Subscription option you can sign up for at an additional cost of $10.95 per month. This subscription add-on will send your child a curated book that goes along with the theme of their crate.
Signing up for KiwiCo is simple! You’ll head to their website and click “get started.” From there you will answer a few questions about who is receiving the crate, and pick out a crate. KiwiCo will recommend crates for you based on your child’s age. You’ll then choose a subscription type, and then decide if you’d like to upgrade to Deluxe for a themed book.
*Subscriptions auto-renew, but KiwiCo does have options for one-time purchases, and non-auto-renewing subscriptions for their Crates.
If you decide you want to switch Crates to something that may interest your child more, that is perfectly fine!
Each month, your child will be sent a Crate that has ‘1-2 larger projects or 2-3 smaller projects’ that are based on the theme of the Crate that month. You’ll also receive all the materials and instructions for whatever activities come, so there will be no need to supply anything.
What you actually receive depends on the Crate you signed up for:
- Panda Crate (0-24 months) will have toys, activity cards and other products that will help your baby become more aware of the world around them, and keep their interest.
- Koala Crate (2-4 years) will have 2-3 STEAM projects that are based on a fun theme. It will also include other items that will engage your little one as they explore their creative thinking skills.
- Kiwi Crate (5-8 years) will have STEAM projects and other activities that are centered around an engaging theme.
- Atlas Crate (6-11 years) will include 2 STEAM projects that have a focus on building appreciation for other world cultures.
- Yummy Crate (6-14 years) will have 3 easy recipe cards, a cooking tool, and 2 other STEAM activities.
- Tinker Crate (9-14 years) includes engineering projects centered around a specific theme.
- Doodle Crate (9-16 years) will include a craft project, tools, and materials and introduce various art techniques.
- Eureka Crate (12-100 years) will have a “robust” engineering activity that will have real-life applications along with the tools and materials to create it.
- Maker Crate (14-100 years) includes art & design projects that have real-life applications. It’ll also include tools and materials needed, as well as instructions.
Wow, that was a lot of information! Hopefully, now you understand better how KiwiCo works, and the various Crates and subscription types they offer. In doing research on KiwiCo, I have found numerous glowing reviews from parents who were very satisfied with this subscription. I’m even giving it a try with my 2-year-old.
We love how KiwiCo focuses on engaging activities for your children to really “light up” their minds and engage their creative side. It sure beats them sitting in front of electronics all day. We also love how it can become a family activity to help you bond with your children, and is a great way to get a moment of peace in your life. Being a mom can be hard when you’re juggling so many different hats. If you need help in the teaching department, we highly recommend giving KiwiCo a try.